Club Suspending Operations Due to Coronavirus

March 15, 2020

We have an important message to all CPCC members:

After much debate, and with deep regret, the Carleton Place Curling Club Board of Directors (Board) has decided that the club will cease all further curling and events this season, effective immediately.

As you are all aware, the concern about the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) has affected everyone, perhaps around the entire world. And right now the problem is very close to home.

The Town of Carleton Place conducted a special emergency meeting on March 13, followed by a news release. The Town has made a proactive decision to protect its staff and the public by closing all Town-owned facilities to the public effective immediately, cancelling all Town-run events and programming, and cancelling all private functions held at any of its facilities.

Although the CPCC is privately operated by its members and not subject to the Town's decision, we feel that we should also keep to the spirit of protecting our employees and members, who are mostly within the vulnerable demographic as well as at-risk individuals. We cannot guarantee the safety of our staff and members if the club remains open to curling, and it does not make sense to continue with the club operations if it puts staff and members at risk.

Thus, consistent with the Town of Carleton Place's declaration about closure of many public venues, the Board feels strongly that it is being proactive and prudent to cease activities within the club. Fortunately, we have been able to get through most of the season already. More details will follow concerning the determination of league champions, when to remove your belongings from the club, and any other lesser details. The ice plant will be turned off by tomorrow.

Ottawa public health has new web content to provide guidance on considering risks and mitigations for events and mass gatherings. Refer to for the latest information. Given that the situation is fluid, we recommend checking the page daily for updated guidance.

At present the Annual General Meeting (AGM) scheduled for Wednesday, April 15, has been postponed. A new date will be chosen and we will let you know as soon as possible.

We wish you all the best of health !!

Jason Smith
CPCC President